This week we were joined by Ben Schwarz, a full stack web hacker, tool maker, and tip sharer from Melbourne, Australia. We talked about (roughly in order):
- 4:00 Ben’s latest project Gallery CSS
- 11:30 Global Accessibility Awareness Day
Q & A:
- 16:30 When does Ben use Grunt JS and when does he use CodeKit?
- 24:25 What are some of the worst case scenarios when using UA sniffing? Is all UA sniffing bad, or are there upsides? Chris lays down the law.
- 34:00 Responsive images via SVG by Estelle Weyl
- 42:10 What’s new in Melbourn, Australia?
- 43:35 “I’m pretty good with CSS, when should I start learning SCSS? Do you have any suggestions for a Windows setup?” Scout, Live Reload, Compass.app for Windows.
- 50:30 What workflow should I use for Git since I’m not building web apps? (example, building a WordPress site)
- 58:40 What is the big deal about designing with a grid? Why should I use one?
- 56:45 Environments for Humans – The CSS Summit is an online conference focused totally on CSS July 23-25. Three full days of training, advanced topics, and preprocessors. Coupon code SHOPTALK is good for 20% off.
- 37:13 Squarespace – Super nice looking websites (new templates!) for people you create right from the web. Plus very advanced developer tools. Head over to Squarespace.com and use coupon code “shoptalk4″.